Tuesday 28 February 2017

Under the colourful veil. Discover Rajasthan!

“Aana chahti hai Rajasthan?” Suryansh asks me one day when we are on a call.
“Of course! I love Rajasthan. Kyu naa aana chahoon?” I asked.
“Toh aaja! I am booking your flight here. Kab tak rehna chahegi?”
“Arre shut up re. I was kidding. Aaungi jald hi; ek baar.”
“But I am not. There is a wedding here in the December last week. Do you wish to cover it with me?”
“WHHAATT?”
“I am serious Sanika!”
“Well, Yes of course Surya! But seriously? Are you sure? That will be hell lot of expenses; besides it’s December. It will be tremendously expensive.”
“You just tell me if you are interested to come or not. Everything else I will look after. You don’t need to worry about that. How does 26th December to 4 January sound?”
“Doesn’t seem like a problem to me. Let me check my schedule. Yep! All clear. Rajasthan it is!”
I still thought this guy is kidding so even I went on with it. The next thing I know is; I have gotten an email saying:

Your flight from Mumbai to Jaipur has been booked successfully on 26th December from Chhatrapati Shivaji Domestic Airport Terminal 2.
 Please don’t be late or else you will miss your flight.
Happy to help!
Indigo Airlines
I am still shell shocked. I have no idea what to react. It’s 16th December and I will be leaving on 26th. My first flight ever. I screamed and ran around my hall in excitement.
“Welcome to Rajasthan moti bhains!”
Another email came from my dear brother. So yes. I was ready for my adventure. Rajasthan has been on my travel list since I don’t know when. It has always fascinated me. I am a history person and Rajasthan has a tremendous amount of history, forts, Havelis (mansions), mysteries, Rajputana (Royalty), Sand, Colours (Even if I am a monochrome person in and out.) I was ready to go out of this Mumbai madness. Believe me; no offence to you my readers, almost everyone knows that I am not that fond of Mumbai city. I never was. And I think it’s okay to not like something. I just don’t like to be here. Everyone around me loves Mumbai and I agree; it’s beautiful but it’s not my thing. I got so excited; I had no idea what to pack. I was thrilled!
26th December 2016

My day is finally here. How am I feeling? Well, anxious. Too much. Never travelled without my parents. Never been on a flight. I had never seen an airport before.
“I don’t know how I will make it. What if I get lost? Oh my god; what is check in luggage and what is baggage luggage? Oh my god. What if I forget my bag in Mumbai? What even in god’s name is the line of customs? What is this e-ticket and how to get this printed? What exactly is the boarding pass? What am I going to use where? OH MY GOD!! I am going to have a cold feet and I will run away from the airport.” Thank you Ameya for explaining me the whole process and helping me with the web check-in. 

After a lot of paranoia/anxiety I was in the cab with my mom and granny. Well, that’s how I left Mumbai with a big smile on my face. Everything worked out great. Window seat, cup noodles, diet coke and FRIENDS. There was a lady in saree beside me; hers was a first flight to Jaipur as well. She was so freaked out; I calmed her down, made her laugh and then we had a good talk too. It was 8 pm when I reached Jaipur airport; totally empty. My gosh! I freaked out as Mumbai is always crowded; I am habituated to it. Maybe that day there were fewer flights. As I went to the baggage claim; I called my brother up. Went outside taking my luggage. As I saw him, I jumped in excitement and we hugged each other tightly.
“Aa gayi motti!”
“Aa hi gayi yaar!”
We sat into our cab and started our two hour journey to Ajmer; a beautiful city in Rajasthan with so much rich history. We reached his place by 11 pm; it was pretty late for dinner but I was extremely hungry. The next day; we had to cover a Christian wedding. How beautiful! It was just perfect. I will be honest with you all; I love Christian weddings. The gown, the veil, the accessories. Just perfect! The wedding went really well. We decided to discover Ajmer and Pushkar.
Now I will tell you why to visit Ajmer and Pushkar.

Ajmer:

Ajmer city used to be ruled by the royal Chauhans in the early centuries. The city was established by Shakambhari Chahamana (Chauhan ruler), either Ajayraja I or Ajayraja II; and served as the Chahamana capital until the 12th century CE. After the defeat of Prithviraja III in 1192 CE, the city came under Muslim rule. Ajmer is surrounded by the Aravalli mountain ranges. It is a piligrimage centre for the shrine of the sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti. Anasagar lake is a historic man-made lake built by Maharaja Anaji (1135-1150 AD). By the lake is Daulat bagh, a garden laid out by emperor Jehangir. Emperor Shah Jahan later added five pavillions, known as the Baradari, between the garden and the lake. Must visit are Taragarh Fort, Baradari, Adhai Din Ka Jhopda and then there is Pushkar just across the Pushkar ghati; a 20 minute drive from Ajmer.


Shot around Baradari, Ajmer.




Pushkar:

According to a legend, Brahma was in search of a place for Mahayagna, and he found this place suitable. After a long time, Brahma came to know that a demon, Vajranash was killing people here so the lord intoned a mantra on a lotus flower and killed the demon. During this process, the parts of the flowe fell on three places which later were known as Jyaistha, Madhya and Kanistha Pushkar. After Brahma performed a yagna to protect this place from demons, the consort of Brahma: Savitri was needed to offer Aahuti for the Yagna; but she was not present at that time. So Gayatri, a Gurjar girl; was married to Brahma and performed the yagna. This act made the first wife of Brahma, Savitri angry and she cursed Brahma saying that he would be worshipped only in Pushkar. Pushkar is one of the oldest existing cities in India.

To visit:
There are lots of temples in Pushkar. The most famous is the Brahma temple. Pushkar lake is absolutely stunning at night. My latest accessories are from Pushkar itself. Bring your Mumbai monster over there and bargain at your best if you are into jewellery, decor, bags, etc. You will see foreigners around you from time to time. It is basically the simpler version of Goa. Also very very colourful.




The shot which was featured on Ajmer city's official page.

Shots in a village near Ajmer.


















So the are some shots I got while discovering the surrounding areas of Ajmer. We visited Rajkumari Heer Kunwari Jodhabai's (wife of Emperor Akbar) maternal home in Amer fort, Jaipur.




 A beautiful view from the Amer fort in the evening.










 I have no idea which temple is this; but this place is totally amazing.

 Just admiring the view of Pushkar ghat.


 1 January, 2017. 1 am. With some amazing girls: (L to R) Rashi, Rachel, Me, Pragya and Prachi after the prayers. We spent our New Year in Pushkar, in a hotel and later went to Prachi's place in the church; attended the prayers and had coffee in the freezing cold. These women are some lovely people I have ever met!


Baradari, Ajmer.
 Outside a small temple in Pushkar.
 On a beautiful street of Pushkar.


In a village near Ajmer.


An incidence which I would like to share with you all:
We were in this small village just to discover around. Found a Haveli on the top of a mountain. The mountain is easy to climb. It's extremely beautiful on top. You can almost see the agriculture activities and farms and villages in front your eyes. A cold breeze runs through your face; and you keep looking at the scene. Inside a room, there is the king's chariot; half broken. It's too much darkness. I stand frozen; the children and my fellow mates standing and talking beside me. I keep picturing; the king being taken in this same chariot all over the village distributing money and food. The walls are now broken; but the glasses are intact. One look at them gives a shiver down your spine thinking how it must have been in those times. Whole village is seen through the windows. There is a weird smell all around the fort. It is not well maintained. Almost abandoned and plants growing on the pillars. Behind the chariot; lies a room which used to be a secret tunnel. Who knows where it ends! Now it's closed. No one visits over there.




YOUR STAY:

1. ZOSTEL PUSHKAR: Affordable price hostel.
You can catch a plane from your respective city to Jaipur airport. The nearest airport to Ajmer is Jaipur where all the flights across India and from other countries are available as it is an international airport. 
2. Get a uber/ola cab from Jaipur to Pushkar which is a 2-3 hour journey.
3. Everything is available in Pushkar, although it's kind of pricy but I am sure you will manage a week over there.

RULES AND REGULATIONS WHILE YOU TRAVEL:

1. Whenever you visit any place, not just India; especially if it is a religious place you simply do not go beyond their boundaries and rules. There are many rules which a village follows; and you have got to respect it. If in case you trespass or go against them; you might go to prison, your valuables will be taken by them and what not. Travel safe always!
2. Be a traveler and not a tourist. Always quench for new areas instead of the same places which internet shows you.
3. Talk to the locals. Be an extrovert. The most important factor while travelling is; being an extrovert and accepting any situation which your trip throws at you. Locals always help you if they find you genuine, nice and kind. Don't be rude with them.
4. Travel if you really love to and not just for the sake of social media. Create lots of memories.

I can surely say that I have made some definitely beautiful memories in my favourite state and I can't wait to go back over there. Thank you for treating me like your own Prachi, Suryansh, Devvrita, Rashi and that village which treated me like their own family. I can never forget it for the rest of my life. 

This is not the end. It is just a start!

MAATI BANDHE PAINJANEE, 
BANGDI PEHNE BAADLI;
DEDO DEDO BAAVDO, 
GHOD MATHOD BAAVDI ;)

(p.s. For those who haven't heard this song yet. Please go and watch the advertisements of Rajasthan Tourism.)

6 comments:

  1. Made me remember everything
    Love you bhanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well composed and a true guide for fellow travellers....very good Sanika..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanu, not as your dad but as a friend I wish I would have been there with you. I would have also enjoyed the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Reminded me of my Rajasthan trip. It was a long time ago but I still remember it vividly. A thing of beauty is joy forever...and Rajasthan sure is very beautiful....as is clearly seen in the awesome pics that you have clicked

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your next visit to Ajmer come to Mayo College.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you are preparing to visit India for the first time, there is no better choice than the taj tashi bhutan rates - Protecting bhutan. You also must know about 3 Nights 4 Days which is a best place to enjoy weekends.

    ReplyDelete